Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Stalin kick starts Metro Rail project near Koyambedu

Chennai, June 10:

Deputy Chief Minister M K Stalin inaugurated the piling work for the construction of elevated viaduct from Koyambedu to Ashok Nagar for the Chennai Metro Rail project at a venue near Koyambedu.
Speaking after the formal launch of works for the ambitious project for the city’s transportation, Stalin said, “The estimated cost of this project is Rs.14,600 crores including escalation, Central taxes and interest during the period of construction.”
While 59 per cent of the cost will be met by concessional Overseas Development Assistance (ODA) loan of the government of Japan, Indian government and Tamil Nadu administration would share the remaining 41 per cent, Stalin added.
The state Cabinet took a decision to implement the Metro Rail project in Chennai in June 2006. This project aims at providing Chennai with a fast, reliable, convenient, efficient, modern and affordable mode of public transport, as a lasting solution to the city’s growing transport needs.
The Government ordered the preparation of a detailed project report (DPR), which was entrusted to the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation. The project was declared a ‘special initiative’ under the direct control of the Chief Minister.
The project has now been transferred to the Deputy Chief Minister. The DPR was submitted on November 1, 2007 and the Tamil Nadu Cabinet approved the project a week later.
The government created a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) Chennai Metro Rail Limited for implementing this project. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs at the Central Government approved the Chennai Metro Rail Project at its meeting on January 28, 2009.
Phase-1 of the Chennai Metro Rail Project consists two corridors with a combined length of 45 kms. Corridor-I, with a length of 23.1 kms. (14.3 kms. underground and 8.8 kms. elevated), will run from Washermenpet to the Airport via Anna Salai.
Corridor-II, with length of 22 kms. (9.7 kms. underground and 12.3 kms. elevated), will run from Chennai Central to St. Thomas Mount via Koyambedu. The portions of Corridor-I from Washermenpet to Saidapet on Anna Salai, and Corridor-II on Periyar EVR Salai and Anna Nagar Second Avenue, will be underground and the remainder would be elevated one.
Chennai Metro Rail Limited has awarded its first tender on February 13, 2009 for the construction of elevated viaduct from Koyambedu to Ashok Nagar for a length of 4.5 kms. to Soma Enterprise Limited, Hyderabad, at a cost of Rs.199.20 crores.
Soil tests have been conducted at three locations in 100 Feet Road (opposite to SAF Games Village (Koyambedu), opposite to Ambica Empire, Vadapalani and opposite to Hotel Karaikudi, Ashok Nagar). Five metres on either side of the median of the road (approximately one lane) for a length of 80 metres are used in each location for the soil tests.
Metro Rail alignment will be running on an elevated structure after Thirumangalam up to St Thomas Mount in the Corridor-II. For this purpose, pile will be driven and piers will be installed over the pile cap and superstructure (box girders) will be constructed on the top of it.
The Chennai Metro Rail project has set a record amongst contemporary projects as the fastest in reaching financial closure, by securing Japanese Government funding in just 12 months and Government of India funding in 14 months, whereas this process took more than 2 ½ years in other cities.
Besides other officials, K S Sripathi, Chief Secretary, T V Somanathan, managing director of Chennai Metro Rail, M Subramanian, Mayor of Chennai Corporation and Ankineedu Maganti, managing director of Soma Enterprises participating in the ceremony. The whole project is expected to be operational by 2014-15.
Eom.Saravanan

1 comment: